Search here...
Baby Life

250 Days & There You Were, Alina Raine

This is a story of the rollercoaster ride I call Birth.

It’s 2:00AM on December 4th, 2018. I went to bed early because I wasn’t feeling so great. I had a terrible headache and my vision was very blurry. After a dose of Tylenol and sleep, my head was still pounding.  I remember waking my dad up to use his blood pressure machine. My blood pressure was through the roof. The week before my doctor had warned me that my blood pressure might spike again like at the beginning of my pregnancy and I might get headaches and blurred vision. After about an hour, my blood pressure dropped down to 139/85. I called the on-call nurse who urged me to still come in. So I packed my bags and headed to the ER.

Once I arrived at the ER, I was checked in immediately and once more got my blood pressure taken. The nurse looked at me and then calmly said, “let me retake it, there might just be an error.” NOT. After 3 tries, I was admitted to Woman’s Hospital after 4:00AM. After many hours of trying to get my blood pressure down, I was induced at 10:00AM.

You know what I was more upset about? Not EATING! I hadn’t eaten since 8:00PM on December 3rd. I was under the impression I’d be out of the hospital and stuffing my face by 8:00AM! LOL! When I was induced, I was given Pitocin (your worst enemy), which causes contractions of your uterus. This gets everything going down there! A cervical balloon was also inserted to dilate me more. At the time of being induced, I was only 1cm dilated. Meanwhile, Alina was hiding from the heart rate monitors placed around my belly. I can’t tell you the number of times they came in to adjust it so they could watch her heart rate.

A series of family and friends visited from all over Louisiana. We were hoping Alina would arrive by the evening, but I hit a wall with dilating! The cervical balloon was in me for a good 7 hours and I had only dilated 2-3cms. Talk about a bummer! Shortly after the balloon was removed, my OBGYN broke my water for me. By 9:00PM I could not take the contractions any longer! I remember making an announcement to everyone in the room that this momma was about to get an epidural. With a press of a button, the staff was rolling in with all of the equipment and kicked everyone out.

I won’t go into the details of getting a BIG needle inserted into your spine while having a LOOONNGGG contraction, but soon to be mums, if you’re reading this, it was SOOOOOO worth it…for a while at least! What are 10 minutes to 20 hours of labor? That’s right, Alina had me suffering in pain for 20 hours and I was hungry…you know what?…she had me starving for 34 hours (the nurse was nice enough to let me chew on some gum I snuck in lol).

Now, you’re probably thinking, she had her epidural, she is good to go! Nope. My epidural stopped working from my waist down. I felt every time the nurse came in to empty my bladder with a catheter and thought it was normal! It is definitely not normal.

In the middle of the night, I spiked a fever of 103. Alina was not doing so hot either. Her heart rate slowed down several times which wasn’t good. At what it seemed like 5:00AM, my OBGYN came in to inform me that we needed to move forward with a cesarean section. I cried. Like a baby. I was so upset I labored that long and couldn’t even deliver my baby vaginally. But I had to think about the safety of us both and believe that in less than an hour, I’d be holding my daughter.

With an epidural, you can’t really move. You just feel like an elephant is sitting on you. My fiancée, Blake, dies in his sleep I swear. You can call his name, yell, hit him, shake him and well you get no response. So imagine, if you will, an immobile person trying to wake up the dead. I had to wait until the nurses came into my room to prep me for surgery in order to wake him up. The look on his face was PRICELESS because he had missed the previous conversation with my doctor.

I remember how I felt as they rolled me into the brightly lit operating room. I said to myself, “Omg, it’s just like on TV!” Next thing I know, it’s show time! One thing I do regret with the birth of my daughter is not being able to experience it in full. With a c-section, you get “drugged up” so I spent most of the surgery chattering my teeth and shaking uncontrollably. I remember my doctor showing me her for a few seconds and saying, “OMG she’s so cute!” before bringing her to the warmer where she got her shot, footprint, ID bracelet, and a few other things. I remember looking to my left and just crying. Blake was a mess too! His hurt great 3 sizes that day (like the Grinch! lol).

At 6:14AM on December 5, 2018, Alina Raine entered our lives at 5lbs 15oz and 19in, and it hasn’t been the same since! I forgot about the stressful months of carrying her, the long laboring hours that led up to meeting her, and the fact that I just had major surgery. Everything! Today, she is 7 months…and the crazy thing is, I wouldn’t change it for the world. In fact, I’d do it again and again and again!

If you are delivering soon, don’t waste your time stressing! God’s timing is everything! You hear me?! Just go with the flow and know that you will be meeting your baby very soon!

Keep On Blossoming, Mum!

Blossoming Musmie



Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: